Engineering & Coordination
Using the radio spectrum frequencies needs to be coordinated on the national and international levels due to the propagation phenomenon of the radio waves that are not bounded by the geographical boundaries between countries. Frequency coordination tasks between countries are very essential in order to avoid the harmful interference across international borders. In addition, the need for registering the licensed frequencies in the Sultanate in the Master International Frequency Register (MIFR) of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), in particular the frequencies used in the border areas, in order to protect them from harmful interference that resulted by using the same or different frequencies in the territory of neighboring countries to the Sultanate. Thus, this department oversees and manages the national, regional and international coordination of frequencies and follow-up processes for radio spectrum registration with the border countries, manage the Radiocommunication (ITU-R) affairs of ITU and discuss and review objections of operators regarding frequency coordination matters in order to ensure technical and operational parameters are agreed upon and there is mitigation against radio frequency interference. The following are some of duties undertaken by this department:
- Oversee the maintenance of the Automated Spectrum Management Systems (AASMS) in order to ensure it is working properly and there are no technical problems
- Conducting the Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) analysis for frequency assignments of classified users
- Supervise the national, regional and international coordination of frequencies and follow-up processes for radio spectrum registration with the border countries in order to avoid harmful interferences on radio networks in operation
- Preparation of ITU notice forms for registering the radio spectrum assignments in the Master International Frequency Register (MIFR) in order to ensure it is as per the established formats and protocols
- Participate in meetings, seminars of ITU-R and associated study groups/working parties related to radio spectrum co-ordination aspects in order to protect the existing and future usage of radio spectrum in the Sultanate
- Analysis of the output of the ITU-R study groups/working parties and preparation of views/responses and provide inputs where necessary in order to ensure comprehensive and accurate response
- Assist the frequency planning and strategy department in frequency plan modification in order to provide technical guidance and inputs to ensure proper and efficient plan modification.
- Preparation for the work of World Radiocommunication Conference (WRCs) including the preparatory activities on the GCC and ASMG level and provide inputs where necessary in order to ensure comprehensive and accurate report
- Revision and analysis of the ITU-R Bureau International Frequency Information Circular (BRIFIC) for both terrestrial and space radio communication services and other related bureau circular letters in order to take necessarily actions.